- Treatment with sodium hydroxide: Sodium hydroxide does not affect but it dissolves and removes some of the non-cellulosic materials such as hemi-cellulose, pectin and water soluble substances.
- Resistance to sulphuric acid: If sisal fibers are immersed in sulphuric acid, it will decompose.
- Resistance to water: Shows good water resistance. Resistance of sisal fiber to seawater is higher than that to fresh water.
Applications of Sisal:
- The short sisal fiber, with its features of softness, high-flexibility, high friction resisting, acid resisting and alkali resisting, it is an excellent material of High-quality sofa, Wadding mat Pulp Constructing materials
- The plants can be also used as an effective hedge to protect crops and land from predators, and the extensive root system helps to reduce soil erosion in arid areas.
- Other sisal materials include Rope Sisal core for steel wire rope, Yarn and twine, Sisal cloth Polishing , buff Carpet Pulp ,Constructing materials and doormats
Chemical Composition of Sisal Fiber:
The components of sisal fiber (% by weight):
- Cellulose 55-65
- Hemi-cellulose 10-15
- Pectin 2-4
- Lignin 10-20
- Water soluble materials 1-4
- Fat and wax 0.15-0.3
- Ash 0.7-1.5